I walked into the office at 8AM this morning and everybody around me looked like they came from an audition for next seasons The Walking Dead or either a hard night of drinking.
I felt like I was the only one with a ton of energy and ready to go full steam ahead.
Don’t get me wrong. I used to be those guys who hit the snooze button 4-5 times before I made it into work. Even if I got 9-10 hours of sleep I’d still show up to work tired and rushing to the coffee machine.
I hated walking in tired and relying on coffee to get me through my day and wake my body up.
Over the past 5 months I’ve been doing some self experimentation on morning rituals. After successfully implementing these 5 rituals my mornings have never been better. I show up to work feeling great and it carries throughout the day.
I’m a firm believer that your morning sets the tone for your entire day. Here’s a list of 5 morning rituals that will keep you energized and not looking like a zombie when you walk in to the office.
1) Exercise– If you don’t live too far, try walking to work or riding your bike. My VP is in his late 50s and says he wakes up every morning at 6AM and takes a brisk 30 minute walk with his wife. He shows up to work every morning with more energy than the young guys at the office. If you don’t have 30 minutes to spare I recommend doing a few stretches or yoga to loosen up your muscles for a few minutes.
2) Take a “James Bond” shower– First off, I hope you’re taking a shower in the morning! Most of us have heard that taking a warm shower in the morning feels great. The “James Bond Shower” does almost the opposite when you first try it. The “James Bond Shower” or also the “Scottish shower” has been around for years. Essentially, you start by taking your typical warm shower then step away from the water and turn the water temperature to it’s coldest while you lather, shampoo etc. When you’re ready to rinse off, jump back in the cold water. You’ll feel like your heart is going to jump out of your body, but when you step out you’ll feel energized and recharged. If you guys have a lady friend over this may not be the most appealing shower, but it’ll wake you up and it’s great for a hangover cure. Check out the James Bond Shower there are quite a few benefits that many people claim it has, some I agree and some I disagree. I’ll be writing about it in a future blog.
3) Properly groom- Comb your hair (in my case shave it), Shave, after shave, face wash, moisturizer, eye cream, brush your teeth, floss, and mouthwash. It’s pretty self-explanatory, and if you don’t do those for your sake and the people who have to sit with you 8 hours a day – Please do!
4) Hydration– When most people wake up they tend to have a dry mouth, it could be from a variety of reasons. Sleeping with your mouth open, the air is dry in the room all night, or your not getting enough fluids before you go to bed. Whatever the reason is, the only way to solve dehydration is to rehydrate with a glass of water. We all have heard that you should drink a minimum 8 glasses of water a day. What better way to get started on this then to get the first one out of the way as soon as you wake up.
5) Don’t check e mail– My boss may hate me for this but I don’t check my e mails first thing in the morning. I update my task list of what I’d like to accomplish for the day. It helps provide fulfillment in my day as I have something to look forward to and it sets my day off right as I know I have something that needs to be completed. I find the best method of tracking your tasks is using the SMART system.
Specific– ex: I will be able to fit into my dress pants I bought before christmas 2010 by the end of this month
Measurable– ex: I will track my waist line every week to make sure I’m on track
Action oriented: ex- I will work out 4 days this week doing a circuit training class for 45 minutes each day
Realistic- Make them realistic, if they are too hard you will lose scope and already setting yourself up for failure. Try setting short term goals with your long term goal in mind.
Time based– Set a time frame for you’d like to accomplish your goals. Even your short term ones.
Carry these steps out on a daily basis and maybe your co-workers won’t mistakenly kill you because they thought you were a “walker”.
- Fun Fact- The image in this post is Jim Carrey from The Walking Dead