Growing up, I was very fortunate that my Mother loved fruits. Coming from a Filipino background my mother filled our house with a variety of Asian fruits.
A very popular smoothie that they made in the Philipines was the Mango smoothie,
when I went to visit Cebu last year it was the most popular drink at the resort I was visiting.
In the Philippines they make the smoothie using Mango, vanilla ice cream and Ice. Pretty simple and straightforward.
Instead of using the vanilla ice cream though I wanted to put my mothers mix of fruits in this smoothie and using my twist by making this as “Paleo” as possible. I just worked out so I’m adding some protein powder (yes I know not paleo!)
The protein source I’ve been using this month is the Visalus Powder which contain less than 100 calories, with minimal fats up to 1g, 8g of carbohydrates, 15 of protein and zero sugar. Not only is this one of the best tasting powders that I’ve had but you can mix it with fruits and it tastes great! The rest of the smoothie ingredients will naturally provide more fat and sugars.
Instead of using the vanilla ice cream you’ll be substituting it with Coconut milk to keep it as “paleo” as possible.
In the Philippines Coconut is one of the largest exported items. The inside of the coconut is full of just amazing health benefits and flavor. Here are the top 5 benefits you can get from Coconut Milk
1) Great source of Iron: Each cup of coconut milk supplies the body with nearly a quarter of daily value of iron. Coconut milk is loaded with iron, if you’re a vegetarian this shake is right up your alley.
2) Helps to maintain blood sugar places: Glucose intolerance may cause manganese deficiency in your body. Coconut milk is a rich source of manganese. Whole grains, legumes and nuts are some other excellent sources of magnesium.
3) Keeps skin and blood vessels flexible and elastic: Copper is a very important mineral for most of the bodily functions. Copper and vitamin C help to maintain the flexibility and elasticity of the skin and blood vessels.
4) Aids in building strong bones:Coconut milk is not rich in calcium, but it is rich in phosphorus. Phosphorus is an essential nutrient that the body needs for strengthening bones. It is must to take phosphorus with calcium particularly to prevent bone loss because it supplies phosphate to the body.
5) Helps in maintaining healthy immune system: milk helps in warding off colds and coughs by keeping the immune system healthy. It supplies vitamin C to the body which boosts the immune system.
You can also add Almond Milk which is sometimes considered paleo depending who you ask. My take on it is, I know almonds don’t have nipples so I’m going to call it Paleo. What I do know is that, I’ve never been a fan of cow’s milk because it really bloat me and I get an upset stomach anytime I drink it, but whenever I drink almond milk it doesn’t give me that bloat. It’s high in fibre and calcium and low in fat. It also dilutes the thickness of the drink when you mix it with the coconut milk.
(Ingrediets: 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 kiwi, 2 pieces of ripe mango, 2 scoops of visuals protein powder)
Mango, is probably the most popular fruit to be exported out of the Philippines. Every now and then I’ll tell people I’m from the Philippines and people will reply back to me ” Hey I Love Your Mangoes” like I’m responsible for brining them to Canada. HAHA!
Mangos are an excellent source of Vitamin A and C, this tropical fruit boosts immunity and vision. They’re at peak at this time of year also. This combination mixes so well together and it tastes great!
Kiwi, is originally from China, it’s also a great source of fibre, calcium chromium magnesium and potassium. It’s really easy to make all you have to do is blend all the ingredients together and this is a meal replacement in minutes.
1 serving: 300 Calories 20g protein 40g carbs and 15g of fat
Coconut oil compensates for much of the fat, the coconut oil contains saturated fat, which helps raise your HDL cholestoral, the good cholesterol in your body. The fat primarily comes from the natural laurie acid which helps with your cardiovascular system.
I wouldn’t be worried about that. If you want something loaded with flavour that won’t bloat you, try this smoothie with Visalus protein and give this Asia-Pacifac Smoothie a good mix in your blender!
If you like what you see please share this with your co-workers, friends, and family! Please don’t be shy and let me know if you have any questions or feedback!