On April 11th, my good friend Mike called me up and told me that he won an all-inclusive vacation to Cancun through his company for top sales, and his girlfriend used up all her vacation days earlier in the year so he wanted somebody fun to go party with him. It was a hard decision, okay not really..obviously I said HELL YA!
Later that evening after my workout I took my shirt off, looked in the mirror and realized that if I went on vacation today, I personally wouldn’t be happy with the way I looked. So I grabbed my iPhone and took my “BEFORE” shot on the left. For the next few days I would look at that picture and look at myself from my competition days and get hungry to get into the best shape of my life again. Not that I would say my before picture is humiliating because I stay relatively lean throughout the year, but my training and diet weren’t as intense or serious as I knew it should be to get into “Beach body shape.” I was simply in maintenance mode during that time.
Below pic April 11th 2012 to June 2nd 2012
I plan on releasing a full program for you before the end of the year complete with a meal and workout plan to getting your beach body ready in 6 weeks. So here’s a sneak peek at my 6 Tips to your 6 pack in 6 Weeks. I was thinking of calling my program “666″ but I figured if you “googled it” you’d find some pretty disturbing results.
1) Take accountability: If you’re dead serious about getting into shape for the beach you have to start taking accountability for everything that you put into your body. If you’re craving cookies and you’ve just eaten some chocolate earlier that day, and it’s not even your cheat day!! You should consider reading somebody else’s blog who may be able to sell you a magic pill to losing weight because I’m going to warn you that dieting to get into shape requires the effort and no short cuts. It’s too often that I hear people complaining that they need to lose another 10-15 lbs. yet they are eating schwarmas and telling me that it’s because it has chicken inside of it…C’MON SON!! When you’re on the beach and you don’t feel comfortable because you’re slightly overweight you can’t blame anybody but yourself for not dieting hard enough. I’m sorry if I’m coming off as an asshole because of this but I want to help you like I would help my best friends and myself.
2) Physically, write you Goal down with an end date: On April 11th I told myself that by June 1st I’d be beach body ready. I would continue writing down this goal week after week on my to do list as a reminder to stay on track. When you physically write down your goals you’ll be surprised how much impact it provides you to actually following as oppose to keeping a mental note of that goal.
3) Document your progression: This ties back into accountability, I took pictures of myself in the same mirror once or twice a week to see how my progress was coming along and to give myself a gauge on how far I was away from my goal and what I needed to do to stay on track or get ahead of schedule. Write down what you did that day from dieting to your workout and if you’re not happy with it, you’re just not working out hard enough and you could be working out harder, or you’ll have to look back at your diet and start to cut back on your sugar and sodium intake. Below is week 2 – week 3- week 5.
4) Eat Natural Foods: Don’t rely on shakes or supplements to get you to the finish line. The reality of it is you have to eat. Your body is designed to live off of food and not pills or powders sold at your local GNC. Keep your protein intake high and fat intake low, with carbohydrates balancing out between the 2. Some items you’ll find in my grocery cart are Chicken breasts, eggs, broccoli and yams. Very natural, very paleo. Stay away from processed foods or frozen meats, they are loaded with sodium and filler.
5) Follow the 80/20 rule: Eat clean 80 percent of the time and cheat 20 percent of the time. Math has never been my strongest subject but I do know how to get into shape and I eat extremely clean Monday through Saturday and cheat once a week on Sunday by having anything I’m craving that week. I usually write down what I crave so I don’t forget and make sure I eat it on Sunday only.
6) Fast after you cheat: After you have an EPIC cheat day you’ve essentially maxed out the calories you should be taking in for the next day and a bit. Use the next day to rebound from that cheat meal and let your body absorb all the sugars, carbs and sodium that those foods carry and you’ve depleted your body with from earlier that week. I like to cheat on Sundays because that’s usually friends and family day and I like to eat whatever I feel without any remorse. I know that the next day will be challenging as I plan on fasting with no food and just water and green tea for 24 hours but it was well worth it after I ate those oreos.
April 11th-June 3rd picture taken morning after eating half a bag of oreos, hamburger, fries and a milkshake from the burger stomper bar in Toronto, Almond snickers, bag of coconut m and m’s and chips with habenero salsa. Eat clean 80% of the time and 20% just go nuts!
So those are the 6 Tips to getting your 6 pack. It’s not really a laundry list of exercises or foods but it’s the intangibles of what it takes to keeping on track and staying motivated which is the hardest part of getting in shape. I hope you enjoyed the information and be sure to check out some supplements I use at http://www.90dayvacationbody.com, or drop a comment or question below.
Feel free to share with some of your co-workers!
See you on the beach!